The Beginning of the Geary 18
In January, 1928, members of the Seattle Yacht Club saw the need for an inexpensive sailing class to create interest on the part of the
younger generation. A request for plans went out and after much discussion, the "18'
Development Class Flattie," designed by L. E Ted Geary, was adopted and orders for 5
Gearys were placed.
The N.J. Blanchard Boat Company was the first to
produce the Geary, ready to race, for $200.00.
On October 22, 1935 at the Seattle Yacht Club,
the" International Flattie Yacht Racing Association" was formed with Fred Harley
as Commodore, Sid Miller as Vice-Commodore and Dick Griffiths as Secretary-Treasurer.
L. E. (Ted) Geary provided $30.00 to secure an
International Championship trophy to bear his name. Later it was decided to make a more
spectacular trophy than the $30.00 would buy, so a scale model of the Geary was cast in
metal and the famous L.E. (Ted) Geary International Flattie Championship trophy was made -
the trophy Geary sailors still compete for during the Geary 18 Internationals. This was
the beginning, the early years.